[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - idling issue, and stalling.. (BMW)
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: idling issue, and stalling.. (BMW)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 pm 
teacher's pet

Hi , ive posted this on other forums , but no reply yet (im desperate , i know)

vehicle : 2002 e46 325i auto (face lift)
ODO reding : 190k kms

a bit of history...

i purchased this car about 8 months ago, it has full service history, and the previous owners were old people (apparently). anyways...

so a few months after i took ownership of the car , the auto gearbox died, my wife was driving , and it just dropped all its transmission fluid all over the road. fortunately i had and after market warranty (warranty solutions) and they covered the box with no hassles (15.5k) of which i had to pay 5k. was done by triangle transmissions in Belleville (cpt).

So 6 months down the line (today), the gearbox is still happy. however , a lumpy cold start has developed, the first cold start of the day, the revs would hunt and almost die but then slightly pick-up again , and a after about 1 minute the oil level light (amber) would come on , and then go off after a few seconds.

so i peaked around and found the little "F' vacuum pipe on just after the MAF was broken off, i replaced it with silicon vacuum pipe, and help, but the problem has escalated in the last 2 weeks..

now, randomly after idle and sometimes when very hot , the car would stall in gear, 3 times, other times the steering would go hard and the battery and RED oil light would light up and idling would drop, switch the car off for a minute , and all is normal again.

ive always been under the impression that the oil separator valve needs replacing , as i know that the pipes goes brittle and break very easily , could this still be related to that oil separator valve ?

ive read that it could also be the INTAKE and/or EXHAUST cam position sensor and/or the MAF sensor that gone bad.
i am worried about this , as this is my wife's daily. and i really dont need her to be worried about a breakdown every time she needs to use the car.

another thing , ive noticed alot some oil sludge when i remove the oil cap, i need to do a service for peace of mind , any assistance would be appreciated.

also , ive read that with my high mileage, i need to consider replacing the idle control valve, vanos seals , and oil separator valve.

TIA.
Yusuf.

ps . sorry for the LOOOONG essay.

Post subject: Re: idling issue, and stalling.. (BMW)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:36 am 
teacher's pet

sounds like a sensor

start off with cleaning the MAF and ISCV and see if there is any difference. Also, check for vacuum leaks on the intake

01 - MR2 Turbo - 253KW ATF (Reef) - 14.4 @ Tarlton - 18.11.2011 - new time TBC

06 - Hilux D4D 4x4 D/Cab - 140KW (Reef) - 1/4 mile - TBC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 am 
teacher's pet

shot bru, ill have a look tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 am 
0.5 bar boost

Can be the CVV oil separator. If its busted its essentially after the maf and allowing unmetred air in...ruff idle, rich rinning and so forth would be the symtoms.

Im Speaking e36 here...my dads car had a terrrible idle and would die at the lights from time to time (3 footed driving required :) ) we traced the problem to the air seperator and completely bybassed it.

The results were amazing...also the intake is so much cleaner nowadays

1994 e36 Vert
1992 e30 318i

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:22 am 
teacher's pet

it is the intake came sensor thats giving issues. i havent has time to replace it yet. but atleast i know what it is.