[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - VW MK1 Clutch problem
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: VW MK1 Clutch problem
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36 pm 
0.5 bar boost

HI Guys

My Golf Mk1 has a clutch problem.....

The pin going through the spigot shaft keeps pushing through the Center plate on the Pressure plate:

IMG-20131025-00902.jpg
IMG-20131025-00902.jpg [ 194.87 KiB | Viewed 9219 times ]

this is not the first time this has happens.

I only use Sachs Power Clutch on this car with the 190/200mm Flywheel.

The clutch Plate looks brand new on both Clutches but this has happened to 2 Clutch Kits that has been in the car.

The pin that goes through the spigot shaft does not look worn or sharp so I dont know why this is happening :cry:

I dont use this car everyday so it does about 10K km a year but the clutch kits has not lasted 3 years each.....

Why does this happen?

Mossie

Post subject: Re: VW MK1 Clutch problem
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

You say that you do clutch kits on the car, so I assume that you change the thrust bearing aswell.
Have you tried to replace the clutch pin going through the gearbox and see if that solves the problem?
I so that you changed that then I will assume the clutch lever is pulling up too far and pushing the clutch in too deep causing you to push the clutch pin through the center plate.

- 1994 Nissan 1400, 4AGZE, SC12 Supercharger, 20v Black top flywheel, T51 gearbox, Spitronics Titan advance ECU, SpeedSpot 4 into 1 branch and 63mm exhaust, 120 wHP, 260 NM on 93 ulp (Uncorrected mechanical dyno).
- 1985 Golf 2 GTS with 2 liter ABF and Spitronics Titan advance.
- 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i with Stealth exhaust pipe, DNA air filter.
- 1982 Leyland Mini 1275E.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Yup, like Tiaan says, either the thrust bearing is nor spinning properly or the pin is to long, or the lever might be pushing it to far.

However, there is another posibility and often overlooked and by the look of that hole in that center plate I'd bet this is the case. There is a tiny little oilite bush right in the tip of the spigot shaft through which the clutch pin slides. Very often those little bushes wears out and it causes the pin to actually slip of the hardened button on which it is supposed to push. It then wears through the softer plate of that center plate, making a hole like that.

If you ask at Goldwagen, they will sell you one for very cheap, but also get a new pin to go with it as well as the small seal. The old bush you can pull out by turning a suitable sized tap into it, usually a 6mm and pulling it out with pliers. You must oil the new bush, the oilite bush is basically porous brazz/bronze and you oil it by balancing it on the tip of your index finger, then squirt some motor oil into the little cup it forms, when it's full to the brim, you take your thumb and push on the top of the oil, which causes pressure inside the bush. This then forces the oil into and through the pores in the bush, oiling it. You can then tap it into the spigot, fit the seal and pin and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:34 am 
0.5 bar boost

Thanks guys.

I will het the pin and seals and bush today from Goldwage....

I just hope I can buy that center plate seperate as both clutch plates still look new and I don't need a new clutch kit.....

Ps. I don't think the pin is to long as it has been with the car since I bought it in 2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:49 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

I'm sure you'll find one at a scrapyard or someone on the forum will have one for you, heck my dad might even have one lying around in his garage. Will go check if he has one I'll post it for you.

Those bushes wear out faster when the car is driven in traffic a lot, because you keep your foot on the clutch the whole time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:40 am 
0.5 bar boost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
0.5 bar boost

okay so 1 week later and 300km traveled to work and home........

and this afternoon that plate kakked again :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ek kan not understad why this is happening.....

I took out the box of matches........

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

And you've replaced all those parts? And the release bearing as well?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm 
0.5 bar boost