[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - VW temp and idle woes
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: VW temp and idle woes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm 
0.5 bar boost

Howzit guys, i had this prob a while back and i thought i had sorted it, but today it came back with a vengence. :)puke
Prob is: on my 1800 carb citi, whenever engine gets hot, still within 'normal' temp range, the idle starts to search? Its wants to die when i try to pull away, and im forced to give some stick to not stall. The whole of winter it was fine, due to the colder weather, it never got that hot, now today at the first sign of warmer weather, bang problem right back.

I did flush a few months back, added new anti freeze, checked all pipes, checked water pump, thermostat works cos fan comes on, always check water etc, all is normal, no problems. i dont a fcuk know what to do or where to look anymore!! :help: :help: :help:

Post subject: Re: VW temp and idle woes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 pm 
rookie

Are u sure u checked all vacuum pipes, double triple check

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 pm 
0.5 bar boost

You see now this is an area i think where the problem may lie. My vacuum pipe from the vacuum advance is not connected due to the advance on the dizzy being messed (opinion of mthe mechie i took it to a while back) it is plugged tho. the other pipes seem fine, but i have not replaced them. i know of the pipe going to brake booster, but that one also seems fine. where does one get these pipes? so i can replace them all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

The 1800 carb engine that was in my dad's GTS did the same and it came down to a very small crack between the exhaust and intake port.
When the engine heats up the crack pulls open.
My A14 in my bakkie did the same, but that was a crack in the intake manifould at the fourth runner.

- 1994 Nissan 1400, 4AGZE, SC12 Supercharger, 20v Black top flywheel, T51 gearbox, Spitronics Titan advance ECU, SpeedSpot 4 into 1 branch and 63mm exhaust, 120 wHP, 260 NM on 93 ulp (Uncorrected mechanical dyno).
- 1985 Golf 2 GTS with 2 liter ABF and Spitronics Titan advance.
- 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i with Stealth exhaust pipe, DNA air filter.
- 1982 Leyland Mini 1275E.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Normally when the carb VW's do this it's that stupid rubber mounting thing that goes between the carb and intake manifold, it cracks and then sucks in air. To check it, start car and let it idle, then push the carb from side to side to open and close the crack if there is one, if engine speed changes you know it's moer toe.

They are like R80 or last time I had to buy one for a carb Golf, might be a bit more now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Think they called a baseplate common fault...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Yeah its a common problem!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:15 pm 
0.5 bar boost

Ok i get this. thing is, mine (baseplate) was replaced about a year ago. the last time it did this,ie last hot days of summer 6 months ago, i checked the base plate, no air leak. your version of the problem, Tiaan, sounds very much like a solution, cos it is ONLY when the car is kaaaaas hot. Oh well i guess i have to go check everything again. Iv heard about the wire that closes the idle valve also? Anyone know about this? was told to run a wire straight from battery to valve and see if problem persists? i know fokkol about electronics and dont smaak to make kak.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

I've seen those things kak out again in 3 months time if it wasn't a good quality one, but hey, keep searching and let us know what was up...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm 
0.5 bar boost

I always check that plate here and there cos it leaked the first time, so i doubt its that. I think its the wire behind the carb, for idle valve, its a tad bit dodge i think. gonna take it to buddy to see what he thinks, again. What else can anyone think of?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Pics always help bro, take a few & post them up, we can then help to try & diagnose the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:26 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

When I used the Weber on my A14 the petrol started boiling in the float bowl and evaporated out of the carb and that also caused the car to idle difficult, because the exhaust mani is directly under the carb.
This also only happened when the engine is moer hot from robot racing or peak traffic.

It can also be that the fan runs so long when it's hot and the alternator trying to keep the battery charged pulls the engine revs down and the car wants to die.
My golf with the ABF does the same.
If the fan kicks in the volts drop and the alternator pulls more straign on the engine and the injectors run a bit leaner because of the voltage drop and the car dies on idle.

- 1994 Nissan 1400, 4AGZE, SC12 Supercharger, 20v Black top flywheel, T51 gearbox, Spitronics Titan advance ECU, SpeedSpot 4 into 1 branch and 63mm exhaust, 120 wHP, 260 NM on 93 ulp (Uncorrected mechanical dyno).
- 1985 Golf 2 GTS with 2 liter ABF and Spitronics Titan advance.
- 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i with Stealth exhaust pipe, DNA air filter.
- 1982 Leyland Mini 1275E.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:20 pm 
0.5 bar boost