[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - SR20VE problems
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Re: SR20VE problems
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm 
1 bar boost

16:1 compression???? How the hell?

How did you guys test or measure the compression?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:04 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 pm 
1 bar boost

Double check that first, its very important to have accurate knowledge of the comp ratio.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:45 pm 
1 bar boost

the comp tester just gives u pressure, it doesnt tell u what the comp ratio is

The Best of both worlds!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Yeah, but the tester tested way lower on the other motor I built up which is 100% identical to this one, aside from the shims not being all fucked up. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 am 
0.5 bar boost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 am 
0.5 bar boost

or even better- rip out that datsun motor and let me build you a strong vw motor for it :laughinghard:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:54 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

This fucking car is going to get set alight soon. :evil:

Got the head back after being reshimmed. :thumb:
CR is now a more respectable 15:1... :wtf:
New dry sump setup with a better sump design. :thumb:

So head back on and bla bla bla, crank it over and it fires up first time... Yes, with a Perfect Power XMS4A... I'm just as surprised. :popcorn:

It still has same shit as before, only not as bad now and the whole some cylinders drawing in more than others continues and bla bla bla.

Getting to my point here, I have done the following:

1. New plugs.
2. New coils. Some MSD monstrocity that tried to kill me. :laughinghard:
3. New injectors. I have since tested the others and there is bugger all wrong with them. :wtf:
4. Swapped just about everything around the 4 cylinders that's possible, and the result is ALWAYS the same.

The previous SR20DE never ran well, in fact it was just shit when you consider how much of it was HKS stuff. This new SR20VE is running pretty much the same. Now the only things attached to the new motor that were attached to the old as the throttles, and the exhaust.

Could the badly made exhaust have anything to do with this, or is there something up with those throttles?

The car is going to be dumped if this isn't sorted out by the end of next month.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Still no pics...is this in the lotus or what?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 am 
0.5 bar boost

Just for interest sake what are the readings of each cylinder?

If they all the same, then this won't be what I'm thinking. But the motor isn't pulling in air into the first cylinders, so if its throttle that aren't lekker then can be first problem. So maybe stock inlet is good idea.

Are the exhaust runners identical on all 4 cylinders thickness internally? Back pressure not allowing it to "suck" in clean air? What cams are you running? Lobe not slightly off/valves to long? Keeping the valves open when should be closed?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:55 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Spuds, just one thing you might want to check, I know that you say some cylinders are not drawing in as much as the others and that might be the cause, but the XMS has injector trimming per cylinder. I'm just wondering if somehow that didn't get messed up and the two front cylinders aren't getting as much fuel as they are supposed to.

Still doesn't explain the difference in air being drawn in, but it's something to check at least.

Have you perhaps had a vacuum gauge on each throttlebody to see what vacuum it draws. You must make a big rubber plug which fits into the TB tightly and fit a vacuum gauge to that, then plug it and crank the engine, check what vacuum it draws. Pretty much the same thing as doing a compression test, but a more robust/scientific way of checking if each cylinder is actually drawing as much as the others, than to just hold your hand in front of it. I didn't see you mention doing this(just the hand), so just another suggestion to trouble shoot some stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Thanks guys. :thumb:

Running on stock VE cams.
Compression on all 4 is pretty much the same, so I doubt there's anything wrong there.
Exhaust runners aren't anywhere close to being equal length, even though that is what was requested when it was built. Assholes of note that lot. :)puke

Checked the injector trimming in the ECU, nothing different there I'm afraid. :cry:
Vacuum gauge will be testing will be done this weekend. :thumb:

Oh ya and I'll take pics this weekend, my bad. :oops:

How about this though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40xRE_Wr ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:04 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Last night I decided to take everything attached to the motor off.

Findings:

1. I took the exhaust off and started it up. #1 & #2 are running nice and hot and having a general party. I can't say the same for #3 & #4. Even the exhuast runners for those show much lower heat if their colouration is anything to go by. You can feel that far less air in general is being pushed out as well.

2. When I took the throttles off I noticed that the flange being used on them and the ports on the block are very different. This I'm going to fix up with the grinder and we'll see how that goes.

3. The insides of the throttles for #1 & #2 were totally dry, but those for #3 & #4 were wet and felt a bit oily.

4. Plugs for #1 & #2 were as they should look, but those for #3 & #4 were foulded up a bit on one side and clean on the other. They were also wet with fuel.

5. Changing the injectors and plugs around in any combination doesn't do anything at all. I can also unplug the injectors on #3 & #4 and the motor keeps running, doesn't even splutter or anything. If I unplug either #1 or #2 the motor dies.

I'm pretty sure the problem resides with the one pair of throttles, but I don't understand why. They're from a Nissan Sunny GTI-R. After the porting of them I'm going to see if everything matches up nicely. I'm also going to see if I can find a set of injectors with the spray nozzles which extend into the manifold a bit more because it looks like the spray pattern is hitting where it shouldn't. Hopefully the porting helps that a bit.

:help:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:11 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

So it went from 1 and 2 being half dead to 3 and 4 being half dead?

Maybe there's a blockage in that throttle body or something if you swapped them around. Are they sidefeed injectors?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:36 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:39 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

At the risk of sounding like I think your stupid or something, 1 and 2 is normally crank pulley side and 3 and 4 is gearbox side.

Now having established that, do you not perhaps have the plug wires mixed up or something to that effect?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:55 am 
2 Bar BOOST!