[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Yaris TS 1.8 2ZR-FE engine mods
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Re: Yaris TS 1.8 2ZR-FE engine mods
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

Last edited by Spuds on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:26 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

Last edited by Spuds on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

My motor doesnt rev high... 6800 isnt that high

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:52 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

So after some more digging I found some more information...

Shortly after the 2zr-fe was made by Toyota, they brought out a 2.0 litre version, called the 3zr-fe. After some googling, our current 2.0l Corrollas have this exact motor. Engine specs are slightly different...

Specifications:
Engine type : In-Line 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve
Bore x Stroke : 80.5 × 97.6 mm
Compression Ratio : 10.0:1 (JDM)
105 kW at 5,600 rpm (JDM)
194 Nm of torque 3,900 rpm (JDM)
13.4 km/L fuel consumption

So I thought about trying to get a crank to fit into my motor, which will increase the CC a little bit more and with the correct breathing apparatus should give me that increase in kw and NM, if not we add NOS :P haha

Will pop in at Mike's Place tomorrow if I get a chance, to see if they have any of these engines and if I can buy only the crank. Depends on price if its a worth while "mod" or not.

Now many people are frowning at me for wanting to try new things with the Yaris and stay if its not bolt on dont do it. It will end up costing you more money etc etc which I understand, but I also understand that without some trial and error, new inventions were never discovered. And I know I have a wealth of knowledge on this forum to make sure they I dont do anything ludacris and stupid, but well thought out logic and concepts.

@Boksie, I need to pop in some time to get those fire lighters, and thought well we at it, we can see about space for a turbo mani and if there will be enough space there. Then we know whether or not we can even think about turbo boost.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:05 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

"im in a Bucket but im Driving it like its a Benz"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

So I spent the weekend in the garage...playing with the intake manifold from the 2ZZGE.

In short it fits...but needs some work done to it.

I'm gonna let the pics speak for themselves, but will add comments in between....

So we start off with the stock manifold, plastic to aid in cooling and fairly small...

IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG [ 497.63 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Due to it being plastic, alot of the clips and wire holders all clip into each other proving difficult to uncouple if you working from the top of the car. If the car was on a lift, it wouldve been easier.

IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG [ 370.88 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

The following pic is of the 2ZZ manifold with a bracket off the original manifold. As you can see...holes don't line up, but do no fret, we press on...

IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG [ 351.4 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

This pic is again the 2ZZ manifold with the rubber gasket off the OEM manifold. The ports are fairly good at lining up, but the 2ZZ ports are fairly bigger in height.

IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG [ 217.79 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

The engine with no intake manifold...

IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG [ 577.13 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1803.JPG [ 483.25 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG [ 490.08 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Here we see the manifolds side by side, You can see the chamber is considerably larger on the 2ZZ, the runners are longer and bigger. So in theory, I should see an increase in NM...

IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG [ 416.07 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Time to test fit :mrgreen:

IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG [ 142.8 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

The manifold DOESN'T fit at this stage. There are 2 eyes on the underside of the intake that are hitting on the engine. You can see them in the picture above, the two supports closest to the TB.

At this stage I thought if I am going to be cutting and grinding... I need a new tool. A few phone calls later and I have this...

IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG [ 137.74 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Which I ended up not using due to breaking to many blades :laughinghard: I may use it again for future developments :thumb:

So after cutting the tabs off and putting the manifold on and off a few times, I see where the problem lies. This is the water port that heats the TB. In our climates we dont need the TB heated, so I simply looped the pipe, but it was still in the way of the 2ZZ manifold. I though of cutting, removing, etc but settled for the simple solution...simply bend it backwards to allow the manifold to fit :mrgreen:

IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG [ 139.85 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

And it fits...

IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG [ 517.5 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Actually no it doesn't. At this stage I had no cut off the second mount. Out came the hacksaw again... And we have fitment!!!

IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG [ 174.49 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG [ 182 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Then some more fun! Seeing that there is no gasket for the 2zz the 2zr head, and having watched an old video boksie made on how to make a gasket... I made my own :mrgreen:

IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG [ 430.66 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG [ 180.12 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG [ 530.7 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

IMG_1823.JPG
IMG_1823.JPG [ 172.96 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

Didn't come out to badly :thumb:

Then a quick bath for the 2zz and off it went to a buddy of a buddy that is going to weld up the mounting holds and redrill the match the 2zr head.

Hopefully getting it back before Friday, which will probably see fitment on Saturday IF I can get the TB to work. May be fitting a Lexus ISF tb...waiting on the insurance claim to be processed :twisted: 76mm of Plug and play goodness. OEM is 57mm.

Do you think that will be to big?

Attachments:
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG [ 335.64 KiB | Viewed 14257 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

It's a real pitty you can't get the ports matched to the intake, a smooth transition is more important than a bigger port.

I see the size difference is not that much, so what you could do is tap out a new gasket on the manifold when it get's back, then stuff some lappies into the ports(stamp them in with the end of a screw driver) tightly so no filings can get in the motor. Lightly grease the ports with grease on the inside so it cathces the filings. Then fit the gasket on the motor and use it as a guide to lightly port out just the mouths of the ports in the head to suit the new manifold. Then just use a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the filings as best you can, the lappie will bring the rest with the grease when you pull it out.

At the same time, "port" out the gasket on the head so it matches that perfectly and move it back to the manifold, then port the outlet of the ports on the manifold so they match the gasket. Voila, your manifold is match ported to your head.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:06 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Thing is that step might actually make it perform worse and it's really not that difficult to do. I'd do it anyway, by the looks of it the OE manifold can also be flowed to match the ali one if you want to fit the oe one back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

There isnt much you can do on the OE one. The gasket an in-lay gasket so cant remove to much. Once I get the manifold back, I will check it out and see what Im up against.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 am 
0.5 bar boost

brave build this cant say ive seen lots of modder Yaris's :thumb:

watched some BMI Touge last night and they had a supercharged Vitz RS...thing has power from the go throughout the rev range :thumb:

hint hint ... :pics:

1994 e36 Vert
1992 e30 318i

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

What's the latest on the manifold Richard? Have you fitted it yet?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

Will do another update tonight...had some...ummm...exciting stories involving water...sucking...oil contamination... LOL

But yes, that Vitz RS is a 1.5 Supercharged.

There is/was a bolt on SC kit for my 1.8 but at 70k...I think not.

We sitting with an issue now of chipping the car. Its giving us a headache as the ecu is adaptive and overriding the uni chip. But we are working on it. Update to follow tonight.

And yes...manifold is fitted...

114kw and 186NM...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!