[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Yaris TS 1.8 2ZR-FE engine mods
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Yaris TS 1.8 2ZR-FE engine mods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:13 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

So I've been on a bit of a research trip the last 24 hours trying to find out some bits and bobs about the heart of my little beast. Very little information can be found on the interwebs so I'm putting together what I know and what I've found as well as theories and ideas. And I am looking for some input and help here :)

Ok so to begin some specs of the engine...

This engine was designed to replace the 1zzfe engine which came out in few numbers in the Auris. The Auris was only available in black. The 1zz is the economy version of the 2zzge which is found in the Runx RSI and Lotus Elise in SA.

INFO:

The Toyota 2ZR-FE is a DOHC, 16-valve, 1.8 L (1797 cc) engine also equipped with Dual VVT-i.
Output for this engine is rated at 98–100 kW at 6000 rpm and 174 Nm of torque at 4400 rpm.

Specifications:
Engine Type : In-Line 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve
Bore x Stroke = 80.5 x 88.3 mm
Compression Ratio : 10.0:1
Weight : 97 kg (without fuel)
Applications:
Toyota Yaris (ZSP90) (Europe only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZR_engine#2ZR-FE

Currently I cannot find too much information on this engine as it is a fairly new engine on the market. So the normal “beginner” mods apply, namely, breathing apparatus. Intake and exhaust. From my dyno sheet attached, you will see a difference of 1.5kw and 5nm just by removing the snorkel attached to the OEM airbox. The results are box on the same dyno, and very similar weather conditions. Under foot, the car is definitely more responsive, revving up a bit quicker from 4000rpm to limiter and a bit more vocal under load.

On another TS, on the same dyno, 2 runs directly after each other, we were able to gain 3kw and about 7nm just from opening the airbox for less restrictive airflow.

Leon’s Yaris is making 109.9kw and 191nm with a K&N design SRI and cat back exhaust. (more on the exhaust later)

So there are definitely some gains that can be found in a better flow air intake.

The OEM exhaust is shocking to say the least. From the manifold, the pipe is 55/57mm then after the center box it goes to 38mm…. I can’t explain the stupidity in this other than emission and noise control.

It has been proven that just replacing the 38mm pipe and replacing with 57mm and a better rear box gives good results to both the foot feel and power of the car. Unfortunately no dyno graph to prove just how effective this mod is.

So definitely this motor needs to be opened up to get some more air flow through it to give some good gains.

So to aid in this, I have sourced an intake manifold from a 2ZZGE. The TB on this intake is 67mm, which is slightly bigger than the TB from 2zr so I will have to fabricate an adaptor plate to fit the 2zr TB to the 2zz manifold. I can’t use the 2zz TB as it’s a cable TB and not DBW (Drive By Wire).

Reason I went for the 2zz manifold is that there is rumours on the net about the 1zz manifold fitting the 2zr engine. And if the 1zz and 2zz intakes are interchangeable, then the 2zz should work. And I can also get my hands on the 2zz manifold fairly easily.

Should it fit, and prove the flow better than the stock plastic intake, I will install a thermal gasket between the head and intake to combat heat soak on the manifold. I will then look at putting a bigger TB on that matches the size of the 2zz intake.

For the exhaust I will be going to Pro-Fit. We will be removing the entire exhaust and building a custom 57mm exhaust from the manifold to the box at the back. To give you an idea of the sound I am going for… click here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Pp1IuJzG8

I will also be chatting to Pro-Fit about helping me fabricate a custom CAI that will put the filter in the bumper, away from the heat, but also allow for a much greater flow of air.

This will all work within conjunction with TopEnd where the developments will take place as well as dyno tuning.

Theo will be installing a UniChip once the exhaust and intake is done, to see what added gains we can get from a custom tune.

So what I want to know from you guys, is my logic right…or am I completely wasting my time? Haha

PS. Have mailed a company in Canada that may have cams for this car. As soon as I have feedback, I will post it here.

Attachments:
2zrfe eng.pdf [385.91 KiB]
Downloaded 484 times

Post subject: Re: Yaris TS 1.8 2ZR-FE engine mods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

The stock exhaust

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 71.29 KiB | Viewed 17391 times ]

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 69.61 KiB | Viewed 17391 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:13 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

You're probably a pioneer on this car, so nobody can say anything you will do is not going to work, but your reasoning is sound and it should give some gains.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:28 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Yinne, slaap julle nie? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

What is cams and that going to cost you?

Just do what you wanted to do on every single car of yours and give it some forced induction. Even 0.3bar will get you more gains than messing with N/A mods.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

It might be cold here, but it has its benefits:
100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:10 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Yoh! That Yaris in the clip sounds mean!

Do it Richard! Looking forward to the developments!

All the best bro!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

"im in a Bucket but im Driving it like its a Benz"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 pm 
foot flat

SAVE MONEY! FITT TURBOCHARGER!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:13 pm 
1 bar boost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 pm 
rookie

From the looks of it the Toyota Yaris and the american Scion xD share the same platform so some parts made for the Scion xD should fit on the yaris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:02 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

Ok so a bit of update....

Got an intake off a 2ZZGE, not sure it is going to fit without some gentle persuasion on both the front bumper/valance and alternator. But before I try this, ProFit will be building the exhaust for me. Still havent decided what size I am going to be using, but will see on Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

Last edited by Spuds on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:49 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

yes yes in the future :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:49 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

Last edited by Spuds on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

---

Last edited by Spuds on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:13 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin