[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - vw 2.0l 16v
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: vw 2.0l 16v
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Howsit guys! My bro in law is rebuilding his golf 1 2.0 16v. The car is already a full drag car! will not be for everyday use!! need some feed back from u guys when rebuilding the engine! It will be the 2.0l short block. planing on running high compression! so pistons of choice we trying to use is either the bmw pistons with machine work on it as well as pocketing them! or the nissan pistons ca18 it already is quite domed and just less machine work on them! which will be the better piston to use? what is the highest compression u can run on av gas? any1 know the correct receipe of building this engine also whats the right cam durations to get? cant seem to get much info regarding this as many do not want to part with the information! we have already a set of nissan and bmw pistons. can some point us in the right direction?

Post subject: Re: vw 2.0l 16v
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:45 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

weres gambit when u need him.. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

comon u vw guys always compaling to many toyota guys on the fourm.. now when ask advise no replys?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:29 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Everybody knows NA VW's don't make power man, it's a lost case...

I just posted that to get their attention... :lol:

I know my dad at some stage bored a bunch of VW's out to take some or another Alfa piston, I think it was the Alfa Sud pistons, that takes a 2.0 out to 2.1/2 I think. Those things used to be torque monsters. Also others use Caravelle pistons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

ya i know they run max bore of 84mm... so they have big holes :mrgreen: and ya the long blocks make easily over 200nm torque

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:51 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

38views not a single vw driver able to assist! id rather be a toyota driver any day atleast they share info!! Update on the car using the nissan pistions and machining them to suit the 16v head aiming for comp ratio of around 12.5! think ill make this a thread when this car is built and share the info with the rest of the people thats battling with the vws aspirated builds!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:33 am 
1 bar boost

sorry man, i am too a noob in 16valve land...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:06 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

come nw guys.. is it that yull do not know how.. or just do not want to share the info :-? plenty guys giving info on turbo the vw... but aspirated? also have prescion throttles for this setup!! pistons getting sorted.. any ideas on cam duration ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:21 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Not many guys on here that tries to make power with VW running NA. I only know about the 8V project car, but I don't know if he's on here a lot anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:53 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

i see that! but will post up some info and progress on how this 2.0l 16 turns out.. i think aslam with that black gutted up golf 2.0 16v with meth ran a 11.2 at sport compact.. down here at margate he ran a 11.3.. some potential with those engines!! but that car does not resemble a golfie anymore!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
0.5 bar boost

2e long block(bubble block),tdi crank(not knife edged-need the weight for torque) not sure which vw rods and bmw 85mm piston with kr 16v head.cams?but know they weren't big cams and m3 throttles.
ive seen this setup make 148kw on the wheels up here in jhb on a stingy dyno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:36 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

thanks buddy will look into this :thumb: 148 on the wheels is freeking strong.. we are going to use precion throttles on our setup

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:18 pm 
0.5 bar boost

Also,I must ad -its running on methonal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:56 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

meth is awlays a good option but the suit costs mre than the mk1 bodys :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:28 pm 
0.5 bar boost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

so can any give input .. on how the 20v head works on the vw 2.0l block think 1 of the vw come with a 20v head the turbo engines and a few passats were aspirated? i rember the jenney golf ran that setup... Also what do u guys think long block torque monster hi comp..for quatermile i feel that would be lazy similar to a 7age vs a free reving 4age ... or the shortblock 2.0 16v with pistons custom to get higher compression faster revving less torque couple with a short ratio diff should be a better outcome? and 1 more question your 60foot time what plays a better role torque or horepower?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

some1 ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

hey, only saw this now, hardly look at this side of the forum...The nissan pistons work, many ppl use them just not many get it rite. Dont ask me, i really havent experimented with it.
cams, eish, think most of the guys run 288's and up, thats going solid lifter again. There ar various reasons ppl go with the tall block, 1 it's either cos they using the TDi crank thus they need it cos of the stroke or 2 mainly because it's easy to find (import motors) the tall block does not eat bearings as much as the short block(bubble block).

Daily ride!!
1999 Golf 4 1.6

ex Drag Car!!
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6 *sold*
1994 VW CTi 2.0 16vT 12.35s Killarney 2010
1992 VW Golf GTi 2.0 16vT *sold*
2005 VW Golf 2.0 TDi Sportline *sold*

build- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8748

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

If the bore and stroke on the short and long blocks are the same, then the long block will be more reliable. Reason being that your angles between crank and rod become less extreme since you need longer rods to make up for the longer block. That would explain why the long block doesn't eat bearings as Gambit says.

In this scenario, there would be no benefit from running a short block except for clearance issues under bonnet. You will pay a small amount for weight on the rods as far a reciprocating mass is concerned, but a set of forgies from Mr Turbo will negate that difference again and you still sit with a more reliable motor. The block might also be a kg or so heavier, but on FWD that can only be beneficial.

Availability concerns alone would convince me to rather run the tall block.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:58 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Daily ride!!
1999 Golf 4 1.6

ex Drag Car!!
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6 *sold*
1994 VW CTi 2.0 16vT 12.35s Killarney 2010
1992 VW Golf GTi 2.0 16vT *sold*
2005 VW Golf 2.0 TDi Sportline *sold*

build- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8748