[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Mk1 Golf Turbo 020 Gearbox Issue
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Mk1 Golf Turbo 020 Gearbox Issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:23 pm 
Just arrived..

Hi Guys,

Was planning to go to Tarlton Street to Strip this Friday with my car, hadn't launched it at all yet since the conversion, was practicing my launches Friday a week ago then after that the next day or couple days I noticed a smell coming from the engine, after a few days it got worse and I saw smoke coming out the engine bay, I then stopped at home and got out and opened the bonnet, the whole left hand side was covered in lots of small dots of grease/oil and down low it looked like this

I currently have an 020 Gearbox in with a bolt kit and im running 140wkw 260nm. Would that be enough to destroy the 020? The gearbox still works perfectly, gears go in no problem, feels 100% fine, but the oil is coming out a lot on the left innver CV and a little on the right innver CV.

So my question is, what could've broken? I took it to my mechanic and he said I broke a pinion shaft rendering the gearbox useless I need to buy another one :help: ?

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Mk1 Golf Turbo 020 Gearbox Issue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

There are seals there, they might be perished. Also is the box not perhaps over filled?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:45 pm 
Just arrived..

I doubt its overfilled, as I haven't checked the oil for the last 5000km or so and it never gave any trouble, the CV's there are quite old though around 50000km as this box I still used with my old 2l 8v setup. I am going to open the gearbox tomorrow on the side there's a bolt that is where you check it right? Where should the oil be sitting?

I put the car up on trestles today and let it spin freely in 5th gear, the left hand side is throwing grease everywhere but the right hand side nothing is happening, yet the whole area is covered in oil and theres oil on the downpipe too, not sure if that is gearbox oil or what. Here is a pic:

This oil was not here before, that is what worrying me and why I am scared something in the gearbox went, what would be the symptoms if there was a failure in the gearbox around that area? And when one stops you can smell the burning oil which is burning off against the downpipe. I took it for a drive to feel if there was anything one could feel on the gear stick or steering wheel, any sort of vibration and theres absolutely nothing on the gear stick, nothing on the steering wheel under acceleration or boost, only a slight vibration around when you let the throttle go at 140 then at 120 it stops, but its not there under acceleration at all. And at 140 upon deceleration the vibration is very very minor.

Thanks again Boksie you were a big help on the 8v piston build last time too! Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:48 am 
0.5 bar boost

are you sure it is not that blue pipe leaking oil and it is dripping on die CV and flung everywhere?

Gearbox oil will stink.

check you engine oil level.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

The other thing is how much grease is in those CV's? People seem to think you must fill up the rubber, and you don't anything that doesn't fit inside the CV itself doesn't belong in there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:20 pm 
Just arrived..

I know this is an old post.

The problem that this person was experiencing is that there is a plastic seal inside the CV cup that prevents the oil from leaking out of the diff.

On rare occasions this plastic plug/seal tends to fail when it comes into contact with the driveshaft.

Resulting in gearbox oil leaking into the CV boot and then gets sprayed into the engine bay as per the photos posted.

Answered for future reference.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 pm 
teacher's pet