[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Hilux 4Y EFI Questions
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Hilux 4Y EFI Questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 pm 
teacher's pet

Guys I'm in need of a 4x4 toy and was thinking of something like an old SFA Hilux. Now my main issue with having a serious 4x4 is the fuel consumption and that would make it harder to enjoy it regularly. I've read on a few occasions that doing an EFI conversion is the way to go on those old 4Y motors, some guys claiming close to 10 km/l. This would really suit me perfectly.

Now the part I'm really wondering is whether this would be a reliable conversion, and probably more important, what would a reasonable estimate be for doing something like that? Where could I find out about the inlet manifold and is there someone that could build me something like that when I do decide to go the SFA Hilux route? My other option is to go with something like a IFS 3L KZTE, but in all honesty, after the Prado I had I'd rather leave the diesels and rather go for a petrol engined 4x4.

What would be needed for a conversion like that?
ECU?
Fuel pump
Inlet manifold
fuel rail
throttle body
and and and?
Seems like the expenses can go up quickly.

I sold my Prado and have a empty feeling in me that has to be filled with some 4x4 love.

If anyone knows of a good solid 90's SFA DC for a very reasonable price, please let me know.

ex -Citi Golf 2.1 8VT

Post subject: Re: Hilux 4Y EFI Questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:02 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

You could probably buy a 4AGE 20v for the price of that conversion!

It might be cold here, but it has its benefits:
100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:37 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Or you can go the 1uz route in the old Hilux.
I heard that the fuel consumption on a 1uz in those old Hilux is not bad.
I know a few years ago the real Hilux 4x4 enthusiasts used to put the 3L gli6 Cressida engines in those bakkies and they were monsters on the 4x4 tracks.
With a good set of Old Man Emu suspension those bakkies can go everywhere.

- 1994 Nissan 1400, 4AGZE, SC12 Supercharger, 20v Black top flywheel, T51 gearbox, Spitronics Titan advance ECU, SpeedSpot 4 into 1 branch and 63mm exhaust, 120 wHP, 260 NM on 93 ulp (Uncorrected mechanical dyno).
- 1985 Golf 2 GTS with 2 liter ABF and Spitronics Titan advance.
- 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i with Stealth exhaust pipe, DNA air filter.
- 1982 Leyland Mini 1275E.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

https://youtu.be/chtDm3W42Zw
Hier is 'n voorbeeld.

- 1994 Nissan 1400, 4AGZE, SC12 Supercharger, 20v Black top flywheel, T51 gearbox, Spitronics Titan advance ECU, SpeedSpot 4 into 1 branch and 63mm exhaust, 120 wHP, 260 NM on 93 ulp (Uncorrected mechanical dyno).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:28 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

That 10km/l claim is just that, a claim. Unless you hypermill it permanently you'll never even get close to that.

They all use the intake manifolds from the Chinese bakkies' engines. The Chinese bakkies has a 2.2 clone of the 4Y engine in and most of the part are interchangeable. However, they remain pretty heavy on juice and the power increase is probably not worth the effort. The amount of money you spend on the conversion and the little bit of fuel you might save, you'll probably have to drive it for 15 years to save back the money in petrol savings if you just kept it carb fed.

The latest is to fit them with the WL diesel motor from the Ford/Mazda 2.5TD bakkies. Cheap as chips, lots of power, very reliable and revs well for a diesel, which is a good thing in sand. They are also relatively economical.

The old V6 sucks ass, as much love as I have for the V6, it was just more heavy on juice than the 4Y even was, ok you did get a bit more power under the hood, but that's it. As for the Lexus V8, they are also probably a good bet, as they are just as cheap and gives you lots of oomph under the hood, but once agin you won't be saving money on fuel if you don't hypermill it al the time.

Which leaves me with my original opinion, with the amount of money you'd spend on a conversion, you'll probably be able to drive the 4y with it's carb for many years and have change left over. In the end you'd probably save more money buying a more modern vehicle and be more comfortable while driving.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:21 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Yip.
A good bakkie to look at would be the 3.0 TDI Ford Ranger. The one before the 3.2 came out.
If that is still too much money then the last of the 2.5 TDI Ford Ranger was also a nice bakkie.
The parts are cheap and because it is an old model the turbo's price went down at the dealers.
You can change that turbo in an hour if you work fast, I know, I did it bofore.
A friend of mine had one and drove the shit out of it and still got 10km/L.
Don't be scared of that diesel, it is still the normal diesel injectors, not the new high tech computerised diesel injection systems.
If it doesn't start then there isn't getting diesel through and if you see white smoke then the turbo popped.
Straight forward bakkies with all the luxuries you need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:33 am 
teacher's pet

Man I've had a look at some really kak bakkies. I did however go look at a SFA DC 4x4 with a Lexus 1UZ V8 and that my dear friends is a lovely toy. The fuel consumptions is probably the same as a stock 4Y in the region of 6-7 km/l, but the fun more than makes up for it. That specific example wasn't the one I would buy, but I think hat is what I should be looking at.

So if any of you know of a rust free old Hilux box shape dc SFA with 1UZ for sale, please let me know. I would also look at the newer Hilux KZTE shape 4x4 dc and I can go to about 100k. For the SFA I'd like to spend a bit less because that will be a toy mainly.

Sal julle manne my laat weet as julle die hoender tanne gevind het :)

ex -Citi Golf 2.1 8VT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:46 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/t ... ake/toyota