[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Semis slicks vs full slicks for drag purposes
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Semis slicks vs full slicks for drag purposes
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 am 
foot flat

Guys what is the pros and cons between the 2 for 1/4 mile racing only .

I want to take out my MSA and go back to the track , but the last time I was there my street tyres on 1.5bar spinned for each run til 4th gear to the limiter managing a 13.7 only and Im sure I can go faster just i need something that works .

What would you guys recommend

Post subject: Re: Semis slicks vs full slicks for drag purposes
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

without having a LSD you will break your gearbox with slicks.

Semis are better than normal tires, but rather spend a little more and get cheater slicks!

Just keep in mind though, that on a street car you want a little slippage, otherwise its too much stress on the drivetrain! Ive shattered 5 gearboxes with semis :)

It might be cold here, but it has its benefits:
100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 am 
foot flat

Hi buddy

:cry: I have a verwey LSD in my car which is now on 80% lock there is so much wheel spin its crazy and this is just on killarney .

on the street if I play with the car late 2nd I will get traction at normal 2bar tyre pressure , but on killarney nothing its almost like a ice rink .

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Semis is fine for road use. To be honest, I would never waste my time nor money on any semi slick. Get yourself proper drag slicks first time or cheaters like Mark said. Reason I say besides the obvious in better traction, the full slick is waaaaaaay more forgiving than semi's. there is no give in the side wall of it compared to the slicks soft flexible side wall.

Daily ride!!
1999 Golf 4 1.6

ex Drag Car!!
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6 *sold*
1994 VW CTi 2.0 16vT 12.35s Killarney 2010
1992 VW Golf GTi 2.0 16vT *sold*
2005 VW Golf 2.0 TDi Sportline *sold*

build- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8748

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 am 
foot flat

:thumb: ok will look into it . lol Killarney is K!!!K slippery.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:13 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

What is the price on a decent semi nowadays?? Weight that up against a slick!! No need to go big either!!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am 
1 bar boost

any word on the RE55?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

These are some nice looking semi's

Can't comment on performance as I have never had a set, but will in the not too distant future! :thumb:

RE55S:

& the newer, looks better RE11S:

You can call G&A Promotions regarding pricing! :thumb:

Regards
D-MON

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

They are too hard for drag purposes if they are like the older ones.

100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

I think if I went with slicks instead of semi's, I'd have done better times and broken less components as well. The semi's have very hard sidewalls as they are designed to take corners at high speed with, so you don't really want sidewalls to flex. But the slick has more flex in the sidewall, specially drag slicks, as it allows for the tire to deform and hug the road. What this all means is that when you "drop" the clutch, with a semi the shock on the whole drive train is much harder than it would have been with a slick, so you are much more likely to break components because of that hard shock when the drive train binds up against the semi's, with the slick there would still be like a rubber cushioning effect lessening the hard shock on all the components.

If I ever go back to the track again, it will definately be with drag slicks or at the very least cheaters.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 pm 
foot flat

thanks lots if things Im learning :)

So must it specifically be a drag racing slick cant I just get a slick used on circuit cars ?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm 
foot flat

I got a set of Dunlops durezzas or something last night never check the name to lekker, I hope they work .

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm 
Resident Clown

how about some info for the doff ones like me.

What the hell is cheaters ?

Toy:
Daily:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

It's basically drag slicks usually with three grooves in them, some have more, some less. The grooves mean they have threads, which will sort of classify them as street tyres sometimes, depending on who decides what a street tyre is. In the US you can even drive on the road with them in some states.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

LOKL :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:13 pm 
Resident Clown

Toy:
Daily: