[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Flywheels: heavy vs light
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Flywheels: heavy vs light
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:20 am 
0.5 bar boost

Hey guys me again

So doing a bit of homework and it seems I can fit the 1.8 clutch to my corsa, its a 200mm clutch where mt stock is 180mm I think.

But my question is:

What will happen if I go to a heavier flywheel from a "lighter" one as present? Only reason would be to fit the 1.8 clutch which will handle more power.

How will the heavier flywheel effect my launches and overall driving around the track etc?

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Flywheels: heavy vs light
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:34 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

More low down tourqe but rev up slower and you will lose some kw's.
But it's not just the weight you look at.
It is where the weight is placed.
Weight towards the crank spins up faster than weight towards the outer side of the flywheel.
The weight towards the outside gives more tourqe.

Like I can have a 3.5kg flywheel with the weight on the outside and a 5kg flywheel with the weight on the crank side.
So the 5kg will spin up faster than the 3.5kg although it is heavier.
But the 3.5kg will keep on spinning longer than the 5kg because the weight on the outside have more momentum on the crank than the weight sitting by the crank, thus giving more tourqe.
That is why a car with a std flywheel idles better than the same car with the flywheel cut on the outside to make it lighter, because there is no momentum to keep the engine turning on idle with the modified flywheel, so the engine loses momentum and then compansates with the idle valve open and closing the whole time to keep it going.

- 1994 Nissan 1400, 4AGZE, SC12 Supercharger, 20v Black top flywheel, T51 gearbox, Spitronics Titan advance ECU, SpeedSpot 4 into 1 branch and 63mm exhaust, 120 wHP, 260 NM on 93 ulp (Uncorrected mechanical dyno).
- 1985 Golf 2 GTS with 2 liter ABF and Spitronics Titan advance.
- 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i with Stealth exhaust pipe, DNA air filter.
- 1982 Leyland Mini 1275E.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Flywheel does not make differences on Kw in my experience.. I went from stock blacktop to a lighter flywheel.. car reved up quick had more response on of acceleration.. ... did not affect power of the car as dyno readings stayed the same.. .. nor did it loose steam on the top end as people would say... My 2cents

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:41 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

ello spuds :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

fuggtsekkkk!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 pm 
rookie

I agree with Tiaan on this one, i have had the same experience as well, and it does depend on where the weight is and how muck is gained and lost between the heavy and light flywheels..

It is less noticeable when going from example a 10kg to a 8kg flywheel but going from a 10kg to a 5kg makes a moerse difference and you do notice it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm 
0.5 bar boost

Ill most probably going to a heavier one, with the weight around the edges near the ring gear.

I'm not sure if its a better idea for them to lighten it a bit and use the bigger clutch assembly or use the smaller clutch assembly with a copper clutch plate and lighter flywheel. I'm just thinking about saving the gearbox some trauma lol