[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - the vw mk4 1.8l20v info/mod thread
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: the vw mk4 1.8l20v info/mod thread
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:15 pm 
foot flat

Ask doctor Maranoux all u want to know

Engine management:
The AUQ is 'drive by wire'(no accelerator cable).The AUQ has the later Bosch ME7 ECU(ME3.8.3/AGU) which is much better for chiptuning also makes use of the MAP sensor on the intercooler as well. Engine wiring harness thus different.The AUQ use 'pop-in' coilpacks which are problematic at times.They have a slightly different airbox which utilizes an auxillary air pump.There are two Lambda probes 'pre' and 'post' catalytic converter.These are not lead fuel compatible unlike the 110kw AGU! Maf sensors are not interchangeable with AGU's. The 132kw has variable valve timing too.

Engine:
The AUQ is the engine and gearbox from a FWD Audi TT found in Europe, locally we only had the 'Quattro'.
The AUQ has much smaller intake ports than the 110kw AGU and the intake cam is different. Engine compression differs, the AUQ is 9.3:1 as opposed to the AGU's 9.5:1. The AUQ pistons have a 19mm gudgeon pin and the conrods are tapered on the small end side.These rods are said to be weaker than the 20mm units found on the 110kw/TT/S3. All 1.8T's have forged and identical cranks. AUQ Sumps are fitted with oil level sensors. Turbo's are different too the AGU has a K03-011 and the AUQ is fitted with the K03-052 also known as the K03S(sport).the K03S has a larger compressor wheel than the K03 but smaller than the K04-020/3 found in the older TT/S3. The K03S also has a strange 'silencer' on the compressor housing.Naturally the pipe going to the turbo is slighlty larger on the turbo end.

Gearbox:
Clutch diameter is 240mm(identicle to the S3/TT) vs the 225mm of the AGU. The 6 speed gearbox has 3 shafts which enable 1st to 4th gear to run a 3.94 diff ratio whilst 5th and 6th use a taller 3.1 ratio. You thus have a nippy 1st to 4th and good top end too with the 5th and 6th.

Injectors:
AGU 110kw 205cc injectors at 3bar AUQ 132kw 317cc at 3bar

First just on water/meth,I always also said never,if i can boost without,leave it,but on a vw the guides are worn in 20000km easy on the exh,so on the meth makes the combuction chamber cleaner and cooler,so the guides last longer and the std saduim filled exh valves wont melt and drop a valve,also if u fit iruiduim plugs it wil last for ever as the meth keeps the carbon of the plug and clean and the plug cools of easy,the exh don't also get to moer hot and the welded steampipe manifold don't crack that easy,or the std cast one don't start leaking that fast

then a set of 400cc injectors and a t28 turbo and bigger cooler and water meth wil make power from 2000rpm-6500-7000rpm+- and last forever on 1-1.2 bar on custom map and 220kw and 400nm atf :thumb:

so a std 20v rod can take 400nm,so u fit stronger rods and boost the sit out of it as it has forge steal cranks and mahle pistons

233km/h 800m
12.2 1/4mile

320kw 520nm 1.5bar

Last edited by maranoux on Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: the vw mk4 1.8l20v info/mod thread
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:22 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

So! Here goes!

My current 058 block 1.8 20VT... Got the 630's in now, and heading for a tune to 1.1bar or there about, should get me close to 140wkw, if not more, on the stock turbo...
Then I'm going to drop in a T28/T3 and see what happens from there.

I'm just not sure how far I should go with my stock internals... I am planning on a motor rebuild at some point in the not too distant future, so any internals needing to be change can be done at that point.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:11 pm 
foot flat

vw conrods can take 400nm max and then start making kaka,and remember the 20v is a shortblock so more stresses so 400nm max,i would keep the pistons as it can take alot,even if u use motorex make with qoetze R250-400 rings or mahle R600+ rings or u can buy ae(nural pistons with goetze rings in a ae box)
so go scat rods R4000-4500 or mrturbo rods R4000

233km/h 800m
12.2 1/4mile

320kw 520nm 1.5bar

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:33 pm 
foot flat

i wil try to keep the first post updated with basic info for anyone looking for 20v info,even if i copy and past atleast we got all the info in one place,now i need a pick of a 1.8l 20v sa crank from boksie or spuds please......

233km/h 800m
12.2 1/4mile

320kw 520nm 1.5bar

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

My motor is the APU, so a bit different. Has ETC, 058 block, small port head, narrowband lambda, 9.5:1CR, 245cc(at 3 bar) injectors running at 4bar, longitudinal.

Now running an XMS4C-4A with ETC and wideband. It's running everything, so full standalone. Full 76mm exhaust, 630cc injectors, 0.8bar low 1.1bar high boost.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 am 
foot flat

so u have a cable throttel or drive by wire throttel? so it's the same than a agu motor,i would use meth to be able to boost more and for longevity and to stop the ping that 9.5cr and 95 can give u on 1.1 bar

233km/h 800m
12.2 1/4mile

320kw 520nm 1.5bar

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:05 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Nice info Mara :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm 
Just arrived..

Is it possible to use other 1.8T 20v harness and or ecu on AGU?
I want to do a conversion in a Caravelle but need a harness and ecu for the motor

30x9.5R15 Mud Terrains

1988 Volkswagen Microbus(Classic & very Original)
2.0 8v Golf Engine

1987 Volkswagen Microbus
2c-Turbo Toyota Diesel Engine(Intercooled)

TUNED AND MAINTAINED BY:

http://www.f2technologies.co.za

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:37 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Most of it should plug in, you only need plugs for the injectors, coils and crank pickup, then it can be run perfectly by any of the ZA ecu's, they can al use vacuum and boost signal to sense load on the engine. You don't need anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 pm 
Just arrived..

Hi guys,
I'm new to this site.
I have a 2003 jetta 1.8T (110kw). My car is still stock and original. The turbo has never been replace, nor the engine opened. She just had her 3rd cambelt replaced.
I need advise as to how I can increase power on stock engine and turbo what needs to be done to achieve this.

B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:26 am 
Just arrived..

You can start with a chip or re-map
If you want more, do free flow and new downpipe
What is your engine code?

30x9.5R15 Mud Terrains

2.0 8v Golf Engine

1987 Volkswagen Microbus

TUNED AND MAINTAINED BY:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:28 am 
Just arrived..

You can replace the turbo if you want to start making serious power.
Contact "Turbo Direct", speak to Chris, he is very helpfull and can tell you exactly what turbo for what power figures....
Youll probably be upgrading intercooler before you do the turbo

30x9.5R15 Mud Terrains

2.0 8v Golf Engine

1987 Volkswagen Microbus

TUNED AND MAINTAINED BY:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:27 am 
Just arrived..

Hi,
I think its the AGU. I will have a look later. I'm not keen on changing the turbo. Unless it dies on me.

Branden
Jetta mk4 1.8T highline