[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - DIY Street/Dyno tune with wideband AFR
View unanswered posts View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Re: DIY Street/Dyno tune with wideband AFR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:01 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Awesome :thumb: :worship:

What do you use to check the AFR?

4AGE 20valve (Silvertop) Tazz 2006 - ex
1976 Beetle - ex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:44 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Thanks guys
I will post here once I have the cold starting figured out
Still need to do timing as well
I'm sure japboy can help as well as he carries some knowledge too
I'm using an aem afr gauge, but u need to have a bung fitted to the exhaust, cost was R80
Bought the gauge from obsession performance in east london for R1900, cheapest I could find at the time

The novalty of having an oldskool engine will wear off when some punk kid smokes you in his Susuki Baleno with hairdryer,neons and roof wing And when you pull up at the next set of lights he'll suggest to race for headjobs, cause in his mind having to give or take... Its still a win-win

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:48 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

This one http://www.mazdaownersclub.co.za/viewto ... =13&t=6450?

Does the sensor for the gauge send a signal to the ECU also?

4AGE 20valve (Silvertop) Tazz 2006 - ex
1976 Beetle - ex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:04 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

That's the 1 yes. Decent piece of kit
There is no sensor or connection to the ecu and the dicktator does not have either
I believe the innovate product has this feature and the perfect power and some others can support it

The novalty of having an oldskool engine will wear off when some punk kid smokes you in his Susuki Baleno with hairdryer,neons and roof wing And when you pull up at the next set of lights he'll suggest to race for headjobs, cause in his mind having to give or take... Its still a win-win

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Slm / Hi all,

Following on from here - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7695

I finally hooked up the afr gauge to see what the car was doing.
Found the car to be quite rich under normal driving up to 12% throttle.
Pulled the plugs and they were pitch black.
Fitted new plugs and checked again, still a little rich up to 12% throttle.
From 25% throttle all the way to WOT the afr is good between 12.9 and 13.5 but 11.5 to 13afr under 12% throttle is a bit heavy.

We road tuned the car till 4000rpm and only till 12% throttle load as this is where my daily driving takes place.
We tuned for an afr of 13.8 to 14.2
Tuning on tps is quite tricky as it's very sensitive. You could be holding say 3000rpm and you just get a slight bump in the road and the afr value will change cos you lifted off the throttle by 1%

I have driven about 190kms with the new plugs and tune since yesterday.
Car feels good up to 3000rpm and I have used about 17litres of feul.

Will pull the plugs tomorrow to see how they look.

What colour does the plug need to burn? grey/ brownish in colour?
Also, my rev limiter is set to 8000rpm but the car still cuts at 7500rpm?
Do I need to adjust the timing up to 12% throttle as well now?

Regards,
Henoja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:40 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Timing does not have to change.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:12 am 
Local mad scientist

here is what I do.

here the F7 screen is the AFR target, to which I'm aiming.

see the yellow, that is the area where you would be when you are doing highway cruising and you are barely touching the throttle, just maintaining speed. I lean out that part.
but now as soon as you step on it, it goes into the green part, and of coarse as soon as boost kicks in it's all the way up there in green territory..

the other grid (F8) that is the trim map, that is actually the ECU recording the changes it had to make to the fueling map, in order to get to the AFR's you selected on the F7 map, every once a week or so's worth of driving, I just apply this map to the main fueling map, and you can see how it get's better and better and better, it really does work amazingly well.

as you can see on that, I'm still a bit on the rich side of things, but barely, with the biggest step being -14 parts of 506.
as you get closer and closer to perfection, this map will eventually stay on 0's or -1's through out, then you know, it's spot on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Thanks rxi
Rotor, I wish we CT guys had a good reliable PP tuner, then I would have definately gone that route.

Pulled the plugs this morning and this is what the No.1 plug looks like.
All the others look the same.

Is this ok or should I richen it a bit?

SDC10022.JPG
SDC10022.JPG [ 70.97 KiB | Viewed 5904 times ]

SDC10023.JPG
SDC10023.JPG [ 68.1 KiB | Viewed 5904 times ]

SDC10024.JPG
SDC10024.JPG [ 65.27 KiB | Viewed 5904 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 am 
Local mad scientist

two things you can do about a wish.....

1: you can wait for it to come true...........................

2: you can get off your ass and make it come true.

3 guesses as to which one of those do not work??? :mrgreen:

:thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Very true and I will definately get there 1 day.
First need to get cumfy with tuning the dicky before I move on to more intricate systems.

Any comment on the plugs guys or should I let it burn a little more and check again?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm 
Local mad scientist

hey....

it's a new year, have to hit the ground running.

:thumb:

those plugs look a wee bit on the lean side... you might do well, just adding a smidgen more fuel to it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

What do your AFR's look like with the plugs being like that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Thanks Rotor, will look at it again.
Spuds, the afr's are between 13.8 and 14.5 but I did notice the occassional 15.x on very light throttle and going downhill.
Hopefully I will get a chance this week still to take it out and make adjustments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:47 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Will def take the car out again and make fine adjustments.
Maybe I should let my brother drive and I tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:19 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

How long did the plugs run @ those afr you stated? 1 day?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next