[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - Steering rack removal
View unanswered posts View active topics

forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Steering rack removal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:33 pm 
teacher's pet

Has anyone attempted this? anything I need to keep in mind? I will be removing the power steering rack shortly. I am replacing it with the standard unit.

I need a tie rod seperator, where can I find one? has anyone got 1 that I can borrow so long?

Post subject: Re: Steering rack removal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

its only 2 brackets and the knuckle from the steering column that gets loosened.then you can remove the pipes...cant really go wrong.

tie rod seperator=hammer...dont knock on the ball joint but rather on the housing it goes through....some shock treatment :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 pm 
Local mad scientist

yeah.. and don't fuckup the thread ether... :mrgreen: put the nut back onto the thread,, such that the top is flush with the BJ-tip, then wack it.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:14 am 
teacher's pet

Will attempt this tonight, thanks guys.

@ Wes, do you perhaps have a picture laying around to guide me what to knock? Or does the thing look like this?

Do I knock on the green part in the picture?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

I wanted to say that, but was worried that people might think I'm a backyard mechanic. Wait, I am one... :lol:

Just to put that a bit more clear.

1) Loosen the nut. Ok take the split pin out first if it has one.
2) Don't take the nut of, just loosen it enough that the nut top is flush with the ball-joint bolt thread. Like Rotor said. This is so that you don't moer the threads when you start doing the hammering.
3) Then take a ball-peen hammer, and on the steering arm where the ball-joint go through, give the steering arm a good hard wack or two with the ball-end of the hammer.
4) This briefly deforms the steering arm hole, so that it would spit out the tapered part of the ball joint bolt.

There's nothing else that can get it out faster than this way, and it doesn't do any damage if you follow the directions.

PS. On the end of the red part in your picture is where you should hit it with the ball end of the hammer. No need for that other fancy megafter...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

i was just busy typing that out :lol: :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 am 
teacher's pet

Done! Now just for that one fcuking nut that has me in knickers :evil: I need a 17 long barrel socket.

PS: how do you soften loctite? I noticed they put loctite on some of the threads. The green coloured one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

you cant really soften it...it was put there for a reason....just use some Q20 or something!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

You can soften/melt Loctite by heating it with a torch, but that's best left to someone who's done it before...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 am 
teacher's pet

Rack is out, sold to a guy from worcester. I sold everything to him, but he called me this morning. said he needs the knuckle & the steering rod because the power steering knuckle is shorter & so is the rod. the rod is thicker too.

So we will be swapping that out tonight. will let you know how everything goes. thanks so far for everything guys. I appreciate it.

Didn't know what a mission this would be... :x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:12 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:12 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

I did it plenty times when I was a appy and I had to loosen crank bolts or flywheel bolts that were fitted with Locktite. Medium grade is not a problem, that comes loose 99% of the time, it's when they think their smart asses and fit them with the full strenght one, then you pull out the torch and lots of patience.

You basically have to use a small flame so that you only heat the bolt and not the stuff around it, it in turn melts the Locktite and then it comes out easy peasy. However, if you heat it to much, and it cooks and bakes into a glass like substance... well, basically you kiss your pay-cheque away for that month... :lol: