[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Streetracing.co.za • View topic - 1000hp
View unanswered posts View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
forumtools   forumtools
 Post subject: Re: 1000hp
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:38 pm 
teacher's pet

some progress today,
cups recess cut and tacked weld the spring holder in place, busy with stiffeners to weld on top of the holder for some strength, soon she will be on her feet

Post subject: 1000hp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:01 pm 
teacher's pet

use this rear adjustable coilies

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:28 pm 
teacher's pet

100mm fresh air intake ramtube for the turbo

some picks of the mod golf4 flywheel to fit o2m AWD g/box

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:13 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

Wicked man!!!

It might be cold here, but it has its benefits:
100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:55 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Lots of fabrication, I assume you'll do full welds on everything once it's setup?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:28 pm 
teacher's pet

and here we go

front brake calipers for better braking power and hubs to accommodate the bigger cv`s and side shafts, will see which one will work as the steering rack must move up a bit to make place for the transfer box , maybe the none off set one

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:01 pm 
teacher's pet

rose joint control arm

well good news for me, no mods on the front brakes what so ever, have 3.5mm clearance between calipers and mag on the 15", very tight but it will work with the 288mm discks of the golf4 calipers

video of rim rotating

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:03 pm 
teacher's pet

Door post stiffener support

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am 
Streetracing.co.za Admin

Shew that is tight!!!

It might be cold here, but it has its benefits:
100Mb Uncapped Internet
Cheap cars
Even cheaper women!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:44 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

I hope you had new pads on there to check with, as they will push the caliper out towards the rim quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:02 pm 
teacher's pet

Alternator setup, alternator have to sit low to make space for the dual intake plenum

All parts removed weigh 173kg, parts replacing them weighs only 35kg's and golf1 weight was 805kg before any steel body parts been removed

I will sell this 15" 5x100mm pcd BBS mags and get other mags with more space for the brake calipers, the TSW 15" 4x100pcd mags I`m selling have enough space for the GTi calipers

well good news for me, no mods on the front brakes what so ever, have 3.5mm clearance between calipers and mag on the 15", very tight but it will work with the 288mm discks of the golf4 calipers

Golf 1 coilover and shock fitted to Golf v GTi hub and installed in golf 1 front, perfect fit

Last edited by wildhareracing on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:04 pm 
teacher's pet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:11 pm 
teacher's pet

photo of the state of art combo, the exhaust manifold will go for ceramic power coat coating

One of the problems with short runner length manifolds is that they suffer in the power department when it comes to all out peak HP. This is mainly due to something called exhaust reversion. Exhaust reversion is when exhaust heading out of the combustion chamber in the exhaust manifold reverses direction, and heads back towards the combustion chamber. This causes exhaust gases to not completely evacuate the cylinder. The cylinder will therefore have not only less room for clean air and gas to enter the chamber when the intake valve opens, but also that air will be hotter and more prone to pre-ignition and detonation. Longer tube manifolds help to keep the exhaust gases flowing in the right direction and don’t allow reversion from cylinders to other cylinders. One of the huge benefits of a twin scroll divided set-up is that it pairs exhaust runners who are 180 degrees apart from each other in their firing order together. This cuts WAY down on exhaust reversion. For example, on a four-cylinder motor you would pair cylinder 1 with 4 and 2 with 3.

Exhaust flow: Longer tube headers before the turbo allow for more area before the restriction of the turbine wheel of the turbo. This added area allows for more expansion and flow of the hot exhaust gases. This increase in area provides you flow just like going from a 2” to 3” exhaust ads exhaust area and gains exhaust flow.

Detonation Suppression: Longer tube headers allow for more exhaust flow and hinder exhaust reversion. This helps in controlling combustion cylinder temperatures by allowing more area for fresh cool air to enter the combustion chamber. Since cylinder temperatures directly correlate to detonation, it is important to keep them as cool as possible.

So it looks like you have choices to make when it comes to designing or picking out a turbo manifold. The length and design of the manifold will greatly control the responsiveness of the turbo, and the compression or ignition timing you will be able to run without causing detonation or pre-ignition. Short tube headers will provide a fast responsive turbo, while a long tube header, will allow you to run higher compression, more advanced timing, and have higher exhaust flow.

take this above in consideration,
my 16v combo`s C/R 12.8 : 1
run on e95 ethanol mixture (4 to 1 ethanol/95oct mixture)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:22 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

The text you quoted there is mostly applicable to naturally aspirated applications. Some principles still apply, but many don't.

While the choice of turbo manifold and it's runner lengths will determine how the turbo will spool, how the torque will be made and carried as well as how much power you will ultimately make, exhaust gas reversion is the last thing you have to worry about in a turbo manifold because of runner length, collector design and runner entry angles is way more important. Furthermore, on a turbo application you can "fool" the engine into thinking it has a long runner manifold, quite simply by making the runners bigger but keeping them short. It has to do with the volume and not with the length. Contrary to an NA engine where the longer runner will create a bigger "suction" and hence "scavenging" effect. Also unless the turbo is twin scroll, cylinder pairing will make no difference to the power delivery.

The pressure in the turbo manifold is at least twice as high as the boost pressure coming into the intake, and this is where the key to good cylinder "scavenging" lies with a turbo car. You can't rely on the "inertia" of the exhaust gas leaving the cylinder to "scavenge" the cylinder as you would on a NA car with a large valve over lap, because the pressure in the turbo manifold will over power the boost coming in the intake. The only way is to close the exhaust valve earlier than on an NA engine and opening the intake valve also earlier, but preventing as much valve overlap as possible.

Which is why in every turbo application you will see and increase in power when you advance the cam timing. It's of course more controllable on an engine with two cams, so that you can get the cam timing dialled in properly. Advance both cams, but the exhaust will be advanced more than the intake. Also the exact reason why a big NA cam has and never will work in a turbo application, at least not where it's one cam and you run huge overlap. Once again on twin cam application, you might run 288 or whatever cams, but if you dial them in properly to give the best power you might find that the valve overlap is probably smaller than a stock cam. The reason you might make more power is because the aftermarket cam might have more lift as well. Has nothing to do with the valve over lap and everything with the lift.

Anyway, the age old turbo mantras will always hold most weight, "For a turbo the best exhaust is no exhaust" and "When in doubt, turn up the boost"...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 am 
teacher's pet

I don't agree, did you just read this up or did you tried it out, if you look at boba motoring they run normal c/r, see on the evo race cars setup, Let me try this and see the outcome, this setup of mine eas on a 16v motor before with k26 turbo and did 268wkw on 1 bar running 95oct.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:28 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

Oh you know, I've built one or two turbo manifolds in my day, nothing fancy or to have a big head about...

Not saying there is anything wrong with your manifold, in fact it'll make lots of torque, in one spot btw... I'm saying exhaust gas reversion is the last thing you have to worry about when looking at runner length of your manifold. You'll have far more success looking at cam timing and collector design to eliminate it.

The new fashion, actually it's not really new to myself and the other guy on here who reads everything on the internet, is to purposely build manifolds with unequal runner lengths to give a better torque spread.

But now that I remember, I built this manifold, what was that, in 2008? It wasn't one of my proudest achievements, but it went on to make close to 300kw and 400nm at 1.1bar on whatever unleaded a garage we stopped at could give us. I might have just been lucky with that one... :laughinghard:

EDIT: That is a T3/T4 AR50/0.63 turbo btw, oh and I think only the second manifold I ever built... :oops:

SV302328.JPG
SV302328.JPG [ 354.16 KiB | Viewed 4721 times ]

SV302330.JPG
SV302330.JPG [ 346.18 KiB | Viewed 4721 times ]

IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG [ 262.32 KiB | Viewed 4721 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:58 am 
2 Bar BOOST!

A few moons after that and a few manifolds in between they started to look like this... but ya, I seem to mostly just read stuff up. :laughinghard: :thumb:

EDIT: I think this was in 2011, back then I still used the stick welder to tack them together and then TIG welded them, no idea why I did that and the TIG welding has improved a bit as well...

Attachments:
IMG_6861.JPG
IMG_6861.JPG [ 260.05 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]
IMG_6863.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG [ 279.57 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]
IMG_6864.JPG
IMG_6864.JPG [ 222.4 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]
IMG_6876.JPG
IMG_6876.JPG [ 343.01 KiB | Viewed 4716 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 pm 
teacher's pet

Found this guy to do my manifolds for me,
http://www.prattenautoengineering.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 pm 
2 Bar BOOST!

Looks like he does very nice work yes!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 pm 
teacher's pet

bought me a nice turbo just in case the kkk 27 don`t perform

http://phoenixperformance.co.za/product ... g=jp-turbo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next